Despite moving into their ‘new bandroom’ in January 1950, the
surroundings could never be described as ‘state of the art’.
Regular fund-raising work, some political ‘persuasion’
(Band Chairman Reg Childs was an influential member of the local Tredegar
Urban District Council), the generosity of the people of the town and the
support of many south Wales bands in entering an annual fund raising contest
run by the band at Bedwellty Park, meant that improvements were gradually made
with the addition of mens and womens toilets, adequate heating and lighting.
However, as can be seen, the facilities remained rudimentary for many years –
including the home made cover for the band’s copper timpani, and the alarming
use of a gas cooker as storage space!
It is believed these pictures were taken in the late 1950s and were found in
the band’s records.